Thursday, April 11, 2013

A-Z Challenge: J is for Jadie Jones

Jadie Jones is a pen name, which honors two women in my life.

First, the history on Jadie. When I first began drafting Moonlit (then called Origins,) my best friend would come over and we'd pour a couple of glasses of wine and hash out plot ideas for Tanzy and company. My friend's mother had recently passed away after a long battle with an unknown illness: one day she was fine, and then she collapsed, and fell into a coma. She awoke several days later, but lived in a state called a "waking" coma for over a year before passing on. My friend obviously had a hard time with the loss. She wanted a way for her mother to live on, to feel close. So I told her one night: if this book is ever published, I promise you I will find a way to honor your mother. Her name is Judy Dawn. At first I considered using the initials, J.D., but there are already a couple of big writers boasting those initials. So I created a full first name instead: Jadie.

Now, for the Jones. My grandmother, Shirley Jones, is very likely the coolest person on the planet. She believes in everything: from Jesus to aliens, and she believes in letting people be exactly who they are. She likes to sit in her favorite, blue corduroy chair and contemplate life. And she always has a dish of York peppermint patties within an arms reach. She's smart, sassy, and selfless. And don't ask her a question you don't want a truthful answer to, because she'll shoot you straight no matter what. She's also one of the most literary people I know, and she often says that had she believed enough in herself in younger days, she would've pursued a career in journalism.

Every time I sign "Jadie Jones," I think about them both. It makes the signature mean so much more to me than if I'd signed my real name. And, to be honest, Jadie Jones has become a second identity to me. Jadie is more organized. She can manage time better, and seeing the big picture feels more natural. These two women have given me a gift with Jadie Jones. I will do my best to do right by them.

5 comments:

  1. What a cool way to give honor to two special people.
    My name is my own. I'm just glad I don't have to spell it out completely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely way to come up with a pen name. Gives it a lot of meaning. I really like the sound of Jadie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool, and a wonderful way to honor them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pen name! Inspiring story too.

    ReplyDelete

Ramble on, y'all.