Friday, October 19, 2012

Review - "Predator Girl" by S.B. Roozenboom

I was very interested to read this book for two reasons: I'm a fantasy junkie, and also, because the author, S.B. Roozenbaum is what I call a word-sister, since we're both authors for WiDo Publishing. I hadn't read a WiDo released book yet, and was very curious to see one of their finished products... but I'm getting ahead of myself.

First, the synopsis: (provided by author for Amazon.com) Strange and unusual beasts that few people are aware of roam our world. Jared Ferlyn is one of these few—a Finder, born with the gift for detecting and tracking paranormal beings. Tagging these Otherworlders for the government, he’s had his share of keeping fey, nightlings and other creatures from human sight. But when a strange new girl comes to town, Jared is unable to classify her despite his training and experience.

While tracking the mysterious newcomer, Jared is pulled into a dangerous environment that not even a Finder is prepared for. And he finds a whole lot more than he bargained for.

"We were a match made in hell, yet no matter how many times I repeated it, it wouldn't soak in. I'd never had so much trouble tossing a woman from my mind. For me, there was an off button that came with every girl. . . . But Ilume didn't seem to have one." (Jared Ferlyn in PREDATOR GIRL)

In a nutshell: This book takes a very different look at a trendy topic, making the type of paranormal creature featured feel fresh and intimate at the same time. I also found it very interesting that the main character and voice is a guy. It was fun to see the guy side of a love interest. His counterpart also has chapters from her perspective, and I really enjoyed getting the whole picture of the dynamic between them. Roozenboom is a heckofa storyteller.

Final words: I can't wait for the sequel. 4 1/2 stars!

2 comments:

  1. This is certainly a very interesting book. Off to go check out more about it. Thanks for mentioning it :-)

    Happy Fun Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the review- as soon as job actually happens I plan to buy a few books and this will be on the list.

    ReplyDelete

Ramble on, y'all.