Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Review: "Wake" by Amanda Hocking

In a nutshell, I read the first 200 pages in one night, and the following day counted down the hours and tasks and jobs and mommyhood that stood between me and the ending. To conclude: I can't wait for the sequel - "Lullaby" which is set to be released next winter.

Now to dive a little deeper. What I enjoy most about all of Amanda Hocking's books is how real her characters feel on the page - no matter how fantastical their DNA. If I pick up one of her books, I know I can count on believable, endearing quirks, true conflict, quiet sacrifice, and natural dialogue, and "Wake" did not disappoint. I really appreciate that her characters have limits: they get brassed off if someone does something mean, sneaky, shady, etc. As they should. And it's so refreshing.

Amanda also did a great job presenting the story through two third-person points of view. There wasn't a ho-hum page from 1-309*, driven forward seamlessly from one sister's perception to the other. I was also very pleased with how the first book in this new series ended. Yes, there are a ton of loose ends, but a critical decision is made and carried out in the last few pages.

A couple of side-notes: I am a sucker for a great character name, and Gemma -the water-loving protagonist in Wake - is now at the top of my list for favorite names ever. The only thing that really unnerved me about the book was that Gemma goes swimming in the ocean alone at night on a regular basis. It works for the character and the story, but it 100% creeps me out. I get paranoid in the deep end of a swimming pool and am scared to touch the bottom of a lake. The idea of diving into a big black pool with things that can and will eat me on a nightly basis honestly gave me a case of the heebiejeebies every single time she headed for the bay.

* the hardback version of "wake" has 309 pages :)

1 comment:

  1. I am actually hating the names in Wake, so I was so surprised to see that you liked the name Gemma, because I don't particularly care for it myself, and I have read it so many times that I think my brain is going to explode!

    ReplyDelete

Ramble on, y'all.